Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Time For More Blog Challenge Catchup

In reference to this, here is my next batch of answers.

What humorous RPG have you enjoyed most? Give details.
It's really a toss-up between Paranioa and TFOS. We had a lot of over-the-top, stupid humor when we played TFOS but Paranoia hits that same sweet spot that movies like Office Space, shows like The IT Crowd, and The Laundry series does, with it's insane bureaucracy, Orwellian Alpha Complex, and constantly recycled characters. Also, coming up with names to fit the clone naming scheme was always fun.

What horror RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?
Call of Cthulhu, mostly because that's the one that I played the most of. Vampire games that I've been involved with never really hit the "horror" mark, and while Tribe 8 has horror elements it's not what I would classify as a horror game.

What historical or cultural RPG have you enjoyed most? Give details.
I've never been one for historical rpgs, and I'm not sure what "cultural" necessarily means. I guess the closest one was Call of Cthulhu, set in the 1920s. I guess Pendragon might count, but we played only a very short-lived campaign.

What pseudo or alternate history RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?
I really haven't played anything explicitly pseudo or alternate history. But if I bend the definition a bit, Cyberpunk is pretty much alternate history now - and it's an awesome game because of cybereyes and laptops the size of briefcases.

Which RPG besides D&D has the best magic system? Give details.
I'm going to admit something here that might get me branded as some kind of geek pariah: I don't really care for most magic systems in games. It's fucking magic, it's supposed to be weird and mysterious and random, not spend 4 spell points to do the same thing over and over again. With that being said, I really like the magic in The Laundry because it's weird, and mysterious, and not necessarily random but the weird and mysterious goes a long way. I like the idea of Exalted's sorcery, especially the spell names and many of their effects. I also like the magic system that I put together for a Fate Core-based setting that I want to get off the ground some day.

Which RPG has the best high tech rules? Why?
I'm going to bend this, because I'm not sure what games have overall "high-tech" rules - typically they have something they handle well. So I'm going to pick vehicles, specifically, and say the Silhouette vehicle Construction System (more specifically, the Jovian Chronicles 1e version found in the Jovian Chronicles Companion). It's a very good blend of effects-based and hard numbers, without falling into the trap of a lot of construction systems that depend on calculating tonnage and volume and thrust and other factors. It can handle everything from muscle-powered vehicles to complex starships. The system isn't without its warts, but for what it does - enabling modeling pretty much any kind of vehicle without having to hammer a bunch of surface system assumptions into round holes (the assumptions are a little bit further buried) it does it well.

What is the crunchiest RPG you have played? Was it enjoyable?
Living Steel, which was enjoyable when the designers were running the demo but absolutely unplayable once we got home and tried to figure out the rules.

What is the fluffiest RPG you have played? Was it enjoyable?
I'm not sure how to quantify "fluffiest", but I presume it would be Teenagers From Outer Space. It was very enjoyable but not a game that really supported long-term play for us.

Which setting have you enjoyed most? Why?
Hands down, it's Tribe 8's Vimary setting. It has a great combination of dark fantasy, horror, and post-apocalyptic goodness that enables stories ranging from pure survival to exploration to almost fairytale-like fantasy.

What is the narrowest genre RPG you have ever played? How was it?
007 (or any espionage RPG) are about the narrowest, but only because I haven't played The Laundry yet (which I think is narrower). It's fine running in a very narrow genre, as long as everyone understands the genre's tropes and expectations. Nothing ruins a genre rpg more than someone who goes against the grain (intentionally or not).