Monday, April 1, 2013

An Apology

This is my first post of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. Given that the theme is "A", I thought it was high time for an apology.

I have been extremely rough on Dark Phoenix Publishing and Mykal Lakim. On further reflection, I can see how a good many things could be misconstrued and how misunderstandings could lead to false impressions.

Obviously, there is a lot of leeway in terms of what can be considered "quality" writing. Frank Herbert's Dune was rejected 20 times before finally being accepted for publication, even though it had already been serialized in Analog magazine. Yet Dune turned out to be a science fiction classic. All of the biggest publishers totally failed to recognize good writing. Those guys were professionals. Who am I to judge what is quality writing and what isn't?

As for as the completely backwards way that Mykal Lakim seems to run his publishing business, at least compared to a number of other publishers I know, I'm not a publisher myself. Perhaps his techniques of releasing demos marked as "playtest", that are nothing like any other playtest documents or demos I have seen in my nearly 30 years of gaming, are spot on. Maybe the multitude of apparent slip-ups, mistakes, and seemingly intentionally shady maneuvers are all part of a business acumen that is beyond my ken. I'm no artist...who am to say whether or not a piece has merely been drawn from a reference or actually traced? The same with editing. Dark Phoenix Publishing's editor, who appears to be barely out of high school, may be an extremely talented individual despite her lack of experience. Maybe the phrase "physical death" is actually a reference to the differences between spiritual death and actual loss of life that I'm just not astute enough to grasp.

So, without further adieu, I believe it's time for (this was very painful for me to say)...




















Don't tell me you didn't see that coming...